Dirt Drivers 154 Active Users
Register Now  |  Log In
Home   Message Boards   Classifieds   Dirt Driver Directory(tm)   Race Results   Rainout Report(tm)
Login  |   Register Now  |   Memberships  |   Links  |   Chat Room  |   Apparel  |   Advertising  |   Suggestion Box  |   About Us

View Advertiser Index
Message Board
I-80 Speedway (NE)
Post a New Response
Return to Message Board Subjects

Subject: Highlights from I-80 Dirt Classic 6/12/20

Posted byMessage
Ant9000

I-80 Speedway Rep
Posted on 6/13/2020 1:04:20 AM

Leiting, Sobbing, Thompson, and Vannausdle Victorious in I-80’s return to Racing
By Anthony Ainslie
6/12/20
Normally, the racing season at I-80 Speedway kicks off the first weekend of April, but the 2020 season officially got underway Friday night.
After losing just over two months of race nights due to the coronavirus pandemic, I-80 Speedway had its opening night after getting the okay from health officials at the beginning of June. Limited seating and social distancing restrictions were put in place to help enhance health and safety of the fans throughout the night. Four of the track’s weekly racing divisions were in action for the I-80 Dirt Classic to usher in a new decade of racing in Greenwood.
The modified feature for the classic was a clean race overall. Early on, Travis Hatcher showed the way in the lead driving Jesse Sobbing’s backup car. The Honey Creek, Iowa driver led until 2014 I-80 Speedway Track Champion Mark Leiting took command.
A spin in turn two with six laps left was the only caution of the race which bunched the field up, but Leiting was quick to pull away.
Jesse Sobbing made it up to second, but he retired from the race with only two laps remaining after flattening the right-rear tire. Leiting went on to score the win with Mike Densberger coming in second and Hatcher taking third. Justin Gregg and Dylan Sillman rounded out the top five.
Sobbing had better fortune in the stock car feature as he took the lead on the opening lap and never looked back.
Meanwhile, a three-car battle went down for the runner-up position between Tim Drake, Brandon Wergin and defending track champion Shane Stutzman. The trio swapped the second spot back and forth for the majority of the race
In the end, Sobbing led all 18 laps in route to the win with Eric Remple taking the second spot over Wergin, Drake and Stutzman who finished out the top five.
The sport mod main event saw a bright young driver in 14-year-old Cayden Dirks take early command of the lead. A caution on lap three stacked the field up, and Dirks led the way until Cody Thompson got around him as the field came off turn four the next time around.
From that point on, Thompson was head of the class. The Sioux City, Iowa native led the rest of the way to take home the win. Dirks finished second, his career best finish at I-80, while Brian Osantowski, Matt Andrews and defending track champion Shawn Harker rounded out the top five.
The compact feature was slow to start as a red flag and a caution on the first two laps kept drivers from gaining any momentum early. Evan Hrabik led the opening lap only to lose the lead to Eric Hensley the next lap, who then lost the lead to Bryan Vannausdle.
Vannausdle led from that point on and held off a hard-charging Anthony Clark on the final lap to take the victory. Clark would have to settle for second while Hrabik, Hensley took third and fourth, and Erica Krichau came from the rear after repairing some damage from an earlier incident to round out the top five.

Post Your Response View Messages
View dirtdrivers.com Membership Information

To post messages you must be logged in as a member of dirtdrivers.com.

View Copyright Infringement Contact Information

View Advertiser Index

Register
Become a registered user of dirtdrivers.com!
 Register Now!

Dirt Driver Directory
Ever wondered what your favorite driver does for a living? When he or she started racing? What is behind the number on the car? You don't have to wonder anymore!
 View Dirt Driver Directory

Classifieds
Looking for any new or used racing parts? Check out our online classified section to help find the parts you need!
 View Classifieds

Suggestion Box
Have a suggestion for dirtdrivers.com? Send us an email or drop a suggestion into our Suggestion Box! We welcome your ideas!
 Visit Suggestion Box

© Copyright by dirtdrivers.com 2020.
All rights reserved. Reproduction of material appearing on this Web site
is strictly prohibited without written permission.