Dirt Drivers 140 Active Users
Register Now  |  Log In
Home   Message Boards   Classifieds   Dirt Driver Directory(tm)   Race Results   Rainout Report(tm)
Login  |   Register Now  |   Memberships  |   Links  |   Chat Room  |   Apparel  |   Advertising  |   Suggestion Box  |   About Us

View Advertiser Index
Message Board
I-80 Speedway (NE)
Post a New Response
Return to Message Board Subjects

Subject: Highlights from Dirt Track Bank GO 50 and Dirt Track Bank GO 20 7/23/20

Posted byMessage
Ant9000

I-80 Speedway Rep
Posted on 7/24/2020 1:10:23 AM

Owens holds off Thornton and Sheppard for GO 50 Triumph. Deal dominates for GO 25 Victory
By Anthony Ainslie
7/23/20

The action for the Silver Dollar Nationals continued Thursday as two stout fields of late models took to the high banks of I-80 Speedway.
Thursday marked day two for the tenth annual Imperial Tile Silver Dollar Nationals. On this night, the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series and I-80 Speedway’s Bragging Rights late models were on the card for the Dirt Track Bank GO 50 and Dirt Track Bank GO 20. Both divisions of late models were loaded with talent as 46 Lucas Oil and 36 Bragging Rights late models packed the crowded pit area at I-80.
After setting the fastest qualifying time and won his heat race, Lucas Oil series regular Stormy Scott started on the pole for the 50-lap GO 50 feature with Josh Richards starting on the outside. Richards took the lead straight away. The Shinnston, West Virginia driver led the first four laps before Jimmy Owens took the lead. Richards took the lead five laps later and held onto the top spot for the next 18 circuits.
As that happened, Owens and Ricky Thornton Jr. battled for the second spot, and it was not long before Brandon Sheppard and Ricky Weiss joined the fray making it a four-car duel.
Richards began to fade after the halfway mark as Owens caught and passed Richards for the lead as they came down to the flag stand with 22 laps remaining. As the race pushed on, Owens and Richards ran first and second while Thornton and Sheppard continued to make their way toward the top two.
The race became a three-car battle for the win as Thornton and Sheppard caught up to Owens and challenged him for the lead. Thornton tried a couple of slide jobs on Owens, but Owens managed to stay ahead.
After 50 caution-free laps, Owens stood on top. The Lucas Oil series point leader from Newport, Tennessee picked up his sixth series win of the 2020 season and his second career win at I-80 Speedway. His other win was the 2013 Silver Dollar Nationals.
Ricky Thornton Jr., in his I-80 Speedway debut, took second while Brandon Sheppard took third. Ricky Weiss and Josh Richards rounded out the top five.
In the Dirt Track Bank GO 20 for the Bragging Rights late models, Mark Burgtorf took the opening lead before the only caution came out for a spin in turn four.
On the restart, Nick Deal made the go-ahead pass for the lead over Burgtorf and proceeded to run away and hide. Meanwhile, Cory Dumpert charged his way into the top five the opening laps after starting back in the 18th position.
Deal managed to work his way through the lapped traffic in the closing laps and scored the win picking up the $1,000 check. Andy Eckrich took second while Dumpert came from 18th to finish third. Justin Kay and Ben Sukup rounded out the top five.

Post Your Response View Messages
View dirtdrivers.com Membership Information

To post messages you must be logged in as a member of dirtdrivers.com.

View Copyright Infringement Contact Information

View Advertiser Index

Register
Become a registered user of dirtdrivers.com!
 Register Now!

Dirt Driver Directory
Ever wondered what your favorite driver does for a living? When he or she started racing? What is behind the number on the car? You don't have to wonder anymore!
 View Dirt Driver Directory

Classifieds
Looking for any new or used racing parts? Check out our online classified section to help find the parts you need!
 View Classifieds

Suggestion Box
Have a suggestion for dirtdrivers.com? Send us an email or drop a suggestion into our Suggestion Box! We welcome your ideas!
 Visit Suggestion Box

© Copyright by dirtdrivers.com 2020.
All rights reserved. Reproduction of material appearing on this Web site
is strictly prohibited without written permission.